It was a long break from blogging. Though I have been baking and cooking profusely, I was finding it comfortable with micro-blogging. The cosy winter has passed leaving us with yet another hot summer. Ginger Chai, a favourite winter staple in my food log had to take a back seat. I tried having it for a couple of days but the summer heat took a toll on health. Ginger is being greatly missed. So I thought why not introduce you all to this refreshing ice tea that brings together the aroma of ginger and the freshness of watermelon.
Prep Time: 10 mins
250 ml water
250 ml fresh watermelon puree
1 tbsp fresh chopped ginger
1 tsp lime juice
5 – 8 nos Mint Leaves
1 tsp loose green tea leaves / 1 green tea bag
1 tbsp honey/ sugar or as per taste
10 – 12 nos. Small Ice cubes
- Bring water to boil with shredded ginger.
- Switch of the heat and turn in the green tea leaves into the pot. Place a lid and allow the tea to brew for two minutes.
- Strain it and keep it aside to cool down.
- Meanwhile, deseed a small chunk of watermelon (two cups of watermelon pieces approx.) and pulse it in a grinder.
- Mix the cooled down green tea and watermelon puree.
- Take ice cubes into a large shaker. Add lime juice, honey and mint leaves to it. Give it good shake.
- Add the fruity tea concoction to the tumbler and shake well. Melony Ice Tea is ready!
In case you want to prepare it ahead of time, refrigerate the concoction without adding lime juice, honey and mint leaves. Add them just before serving.
- I have retained the pulp as I like the texture. You could strain it as well.
- If you like fizzy drinks, add plain soda to this refresher.
- Put a spin on it with some light rum if you are looking for a alcoholic version.
What are your favourite summer drinks?
If you give this recipe a try, let me know! Leave a comment, take a picture and tag it #tadkatales on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with.